/r/RABM/

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A post-rock night: Бронекот, Australasia, Obsidian Kingdom, and more

Since I'm receiving a lot of post-rock/metal albums for a review, but my blog isn't exactly for this kind of music (some of these bands are apolitical, some aren't metal at all), I decided to write a single overview post for all of them, like I've done earlier with hardcore.

Let's begin with Бронекот ("Panzercat"), a band from Russia (SPb) which I discovered via gnwp.ru. They've got one of the best band names ever, and the music isn't bad at all too:


- Australasia, an instrumental (blackened) post-rock duo from Italy. Really good stuff, on the level of Alinda.

- Obsidian Kingdom, a band formed in Barcelona in 2005. I won't call their music "post-rock", all the more so "black metal" (even though their music was frequently described as such); the band themselves describe their style as "Post-Metal / Progressive Rock / Experimental", which I think is quite accurateI really liked their latest release, "Mantiis" - it's quite interesting and conceptual stuff (but don't expect it to sound aggressive/brutal, though).

- Anniversary, a blackgaze band from Richmond, VA. There's a lack of such bands in Virginia, so these guys decided to take an initiative to form one of the first in their area. So far they have released only one long track, which is supposed to the the first one off their upcoming EP (which was expected to be released by the end of 2012).

- Yurei, a Norwegian project currently signed to Adversum. It's neither post-rock, nor metal (frankly I think that the only label applicable to Yurei's music is "experimental"), but I think it'd fit well in here. Yurei’s debut album "Working Class Demon" was released via Adversum in 2010, but I haven't listened to it yet. The second album ("Night Vision") is quite interesting, though.

P.S. I also remember an Ukrainian post-rock band called Aitia, which haven't released anything except for a couple of rehearsal tracks, one of which I happened to hear ~5 years ago. It was one of the most interesting pieces of post-rock I've ever heard (even by the standards of Ukrainian post-rock scene, which is world-class), and the band's ideology seemed to be pretty close to my own. Sadly I can't find it on my hard drive, but I definitely will post it if I'll find it.

No comments :

Post a Comment